Update, Summer 2021
The trustees of EIWW deeply saddened that we could not run any water ski sessions in 2020 because of the COVID‐19 restrictions. Sadly, having undertaken a thorough risk assessment, we have concluded it is still impossible to run sessions safely in 2021 too.
It is unclear what government restrictions will be in place beyond July, but we remain concerned that many of our volunteers will not have received their vaccinations. Consequently, social distancing will be necessary to ensure the safety of our skiers, many of whom are considered vulnerable. And, social distancing makes it impossible for our volunteers and instructors to assist skiers either on the jetty or in the water.
We know that the suspension of skiing sessions this season will disappoint you, but our skiers and volunteers’ safety remains our priority as always. We genuinely hope that we will all be able to return to an entire season of water skiing in 2022, and we look forward to welcoming you back then.
Do you (or someone you know) have a disability? Like the idea of water sports but feel that your disability is preventing you from taking part? Look no further because we can help get you out on the water.
Who can participate
We don’t restrict based on disability, only on the capacity to support you safely on the water. These are examples of the types of disabilities we have worked with during our sessions:
- Wheelchair users, including paraplegics
- Cerebral Palsy
- Sensory impairments, including blind and deaf individuals
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Learning disabilities
- Brain injury
- Autistic Spectrum Condition
So, forget the restrictions on land! Leave your disability behind and feel the freedom of the water. With expert support, specialist adaptive equipment for both standing and seated skiers, and guidance from our fully qualified instructors, you can take to the water whatever your disability.
All equipment, including the skis, hoist, dry-suits/wetsuits, and buoyancy aids are provided.
We are always in need of volunteers to support our events and skiers. You don’t have to be an experienced coach (although that would be great), just an enthusiastic and caring individual with a passion for helping others and a willingness to don a wetsuit and give things a go. Volunteers help us in many ways, including:
- Supervising the issue of wetsuits and boyancy aids
- Supervising the rota, ensuring skiers are ready when it’s their turn on the water
- Helping skiers with the equipment
- Ensuring the correct equipment is ready for use depending on the needs of each skier
- Organising refreshments for the crew and skiers
More experienced skiers will also help with:
- Assisting skiers in the water, buddying those who require support
- Helping the boat driver, informing them of the skier’s progress and helping out if someone falls in and needs assistance to get back up or into the boat.
- Driving the boat.
For more information or if you would like to discuss a booking, please email EIWW.General@gmail.com.
Or follow us on EIWW Facebook page.